January 11th, 2008
Late post as usual but this post is about last September and first test sailing with the Blade. It took quite amount of time to finish her to be ready for getting wet and after cutting some corners (i.e. temporary adjustments) everything was ready for some sailing.
Setting up last bits of rigging on Saturday 15th of September she was ready to be launched on 16th with only main sail. Even with only one sail I was pretty happy with myself as the picture below shows .
We sailed few hours, just trying to get some feel about new boat. Because the wind was pretty light we didn’t get to fly the hull just yet.
Next weekend I got also the spi rigged. The jib was left for next spring because I didn’t have enough time to work with boat, I promised to my wife that sailing season ends at the end of September (our first child was born in early October). The spi snuffer was too tight and thus snuffing the spi wasn’t fast enough, so it needs to be replaced during winter.
I didn’t have a camera with me when we tested the spi on water, but again on Sunday 23rd of September the wind was pretty light, maybe around 6 knots on gusts. We measured 12.3 knots on the GPS and flew some hull with the crew on leeward hull . So the sailing tests were successful but there is still rigging stuff to do during the winter. I’m also committed to do some repainting so that the finishing will look better. On top of this I need to redo my bottom/rudder of my keel boat and do some DN sailing… Boy my winter seems to be busy .
June 5th, 2007
Yesterday I received a delivery from Holland, it contained two wing masts, rigging, one set of dagger boards and two sets of rudders. In the picture below the masts lying happily beside our house, looks good eh?
However there was a dent in one mast between the stay and diamond wire attachment. The transportation was insured and Hans from Catamaranparts is providing really good service to resolve this issue, so only thing lost was some time.
I’ll try to post tomorrow again with some building images, I have quite few of them lying around.
April 9th, 2007
This post contains work from longer period of the time, it seems that my update schedule is once in a month. I decided to make the plywood bridges supporting the deck before coating the interior with epoxy (bad decision because they were on the way when sanding and coating). The gunwales were first notched and then the bridges fitted to these notches. First rough trimming was made based on deck curve template.
After trimming the bridges they were ready to be glued. At the same time some western red cedar was glued around the beam landings and the center case to provide better support for decks.
After sanding (yes I know, I should have removed the extra drops of epoxy when it was still wet) the interior was coated with two layers of epoxy, in the picture below the first layer is applied almost everywhere. I decided not to coat gunwales and plywood bridges yet because I was too lazy to sand the glue mix off them.
In the Blade plans there is a tube going through the hull for the trapeze wire (well, rubber band). I decided to use carbon tube (from Kevra) and put some kevlar on the hull attachment. If the carbon tube will be worn out then the kevlar will hopefully hold.
In the last picture the foam bulkheads are inserted to hulls. There is still some trimming to be done before applying the glue.
Next I’m going to take short brake to get my keel boat on the water. After she’s ready to sail I’ll get back to building the Blade, the estimate is first weekend of May. My goal was to have the foam bulkheads glued after eastern, so I’m one work day behind of the schedule.
February 20th, 2007
The center case is located between bulkheads 11 and 12 which are the last plywood bulkheads to be assembled, rest of the bulkheads are made from foam. After the center case is cured the last plywood bulkheads can be glued to their position.
Until now the transom was glued only from outside and next step is to reinforce the transom from inside. The transom reinforcement is made of few layers of glass, western red cedar and plywood that are glued together. Purpose for this is that the glass along the keel line should take most of the possible forces that are directed to the bottom of the transom. The next picture shows the transom reinforcement.
Last step before glueing the foam bulkheads is making the chainplate for side stays and for spi chute. Obviously there will be lots of pressure directed to this plate so I decided to use few layers of kevlar instead of planned glass cloth around it.
Next step is to trim and glue in the foam bulkheads, those were the first thing that I made around last July .
February 7th, 2007
The cases for daggerboards are made of Okume with cedar spacers. I had to be little bit creative this time because the plans are made for low aspect ratio boards and I ordered high aspect ratio boards. Because of this I moved the back wall of the case few centimeters forward and made it little bit shorter so that center of daggerboards would be at the same spot than in the plans. In the picture below you can see the back side of the case.
After the cases are cured it is time to do some dry fitting.
Because I moved the back wall of the case I decided to put additional cedar block behind the wall so that it will completely solid.
The case is put to correct position wit spacer and then it’s straightened with support screwed to gunwales.
Last step is to fillet and glass the case to hull.
When case glassing is cured the last two plywood bulkheads can be glued around it. So interior of my Blade is getting along pretty well .